Tuesday, June 19, 2012

And now for something a bit different....

Not completely different as it's still crafting but not a card this time.  Before we moved across the ocean to the States, I liked nothing better than DIY-ing, be it painting the rooms of our cottage or recycling and doing up small bits and pieces such as old chairs, boxes or anything that took my fancy.  When we moved here, we made the decision to rent (we are planning to return to the UK at some point) and so the decorating option was off the table BUT we have discovered that we both love to go junking at weekends and so the "do-it-up" bug has bitten again!!

      I've been busy collecting a number of items to play with and I've actually managed to finish off a few - one of my 'pins' on Pinterest was a window frame that had been used as a photo frame and I loved it!  I found two great frames whilst out junking - one was $12 and the other $10 and when you look at the price of large photo frames, what a bargain!!

After several of hours of sanding, painting and distressing, I then added my photos (the latest ones of my gorgeous nieces) and added a sentiment and some butterflies with some Silhouette Vinyl.  The frame then ended up leaning against the wall in my craft room until I found some thin rope to hang it with.  Today I finally got around to hanging in our entrance hallway -


The hallway is so narrow that it was extremely difficult to get any decent photos of it so apologies for that.  I should prop it against a wall and take a head on shot but we have guests arriving soon so no time for that today.


The sentiment reads "sweet childish days of summer that were as long as twenty days are now" .



I have another window frame waiting in my garage for some tlc so expect another posting at some time in the future.

Thanks for popping in to take a look :)


11 comments:

Carla S. said...

This is fabulous, Dawn! Such a creative project! The pics of your nieces are just adorable!

Jo said...

Beautiful Dawn. What a great way to display pictures and would me a treasured gift.

Bernardine Cuttino said...

Wow Dawn, simply beautiful, Hugs

Melissa said...

This is gorgeous Dawn! I love, love it. I have about 5 of those old windows lying around and now I am inspired to do something with them.

Kathi said...

Wow. That's totally fantastic.

I love what you've done with that window.

I haven't been "junking" itching to go into the city to the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market. I'm on the prowl for some printer's type boxes and some printer's type.

ursula Uphof said...

What a lovely way to display those photos. Your frame is gorgeous Dawn..just love it.

Tress said...

What an awesome idea! And a clever use of your Silhouette. Love the way you've styled the layout. Thank you for sharing!

Penny said...

Wow, Dawn! What a wonderful piece for your decor! Love how it frames the photos of your darling nieces! Great idea! :^)
Hugs,
Penny

nwilliams6 said...

Oh this is wonderful Dawn! Lovely way to capture the sweetness and cuteness of your nieces and the elegance of memories and summer. Thanks for sharing this - I want to make one!!!!

Tracy said...

You did such a super job on this repurpose job Dawn. What a gorgeous way to display those cuties. Fabulous! Hugs!

Linda Palmer said...

Dawn, this is fabulous. What an incredible idea! It turned out so beautiful. Hope you have fun with your family.