Thursday, August 9, 2012

Upcycled garden table.

Hello all - just popping in with a quick post of something different from my usual card posts.  I recently finished a makeover on a cable drum that my hubby rescued from his workplace for me - he understands me so well to know how excited I would be to have him bring home a large wooden reel!!

Anyway I had seen several inspiration pictures on Pinterest (my biggest time waster and indulgence) and knew what I wanted to do with it - a table that would fit onto my very small patio here in the US and would also fit in with my country garden when we move back to our home in the UK.  I made the roman numeral and clock hands stencils from vinyl using my Silhouette and painted it with regular latex paint, following that with a couple of coats of exterior varnish.  I'm hoping it will become a bit more distressed as the seasons go by......


The more observant amongst you may have spotted the herb planter - another one of my makeovers using a pallet.  I wanted something to hide the ugly air-con unit!  I know both pieces are a bit rough and ready but I love them and they have given me a lovely little reading nook in my backyard :)


The hole in the middle of the reel can also be used to hold a sunshade umbrella - dual purpose!

I am linking this up to the under $100 linky party at Beyond the Picket Fence - a great blog to follow and get a truckload of inspiration :)

 

Thanks for stopping by to take a look!


12 comments:

Penny said...

Very cool idea, Dawn, and your little reading nook is so cute! We can't have many wooden pieces here in the desert--they dry out and crack too easily. (In fact, a wooden privacy fence turns into a picket fence!) :^)
Hugs,
Penny

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - this is soo cute!!! You did a fab job! Fun reading nook. I am so impressed Dawn. Come visit and make over some stuff at my house!!! Hugz!

Kathi said...

I love your little reading nook.

Great use of that reel. I love the way it came out and am sure it will get weathered and distressed by our ridiculous weather extremes.

Tracy said...

Well aren't you a clever girl. :-) Great upcycle projects Dawn.

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

I just love, love the clock face on the table ... it's my new latest obsession. I have two round tables -- inherited from my husband's family -- that I would love to do this too. I just worry that my husband (you know men and painting wood; especially when that wood was once their great grandmas) might not be so pleased ...

:)

Linda

Grenouille Greetings said...

LOVE your quirky table! Clever you!!! hugs, Lesley

Unknown said...

This is a interesting blog .Ashapura Saw Mill is one of the leading reputed manufacturers, suppliers and exporters of Wood packaging products, wooden storage Boxes, Wooden packing crates, Plywood Boxes and other wooden packaging solutions. Wooden Cable Drums.

Unknown said...

I am in love. Beautiful! I upcycle wood and mirrors and make them into tables, but I haven't figured out a creative way to upcycle leg materials, so I've been buying adjustable table legs. You clearly are superior. *bows at your talent*

Rattan Furniture Solutions said...

Ah, that is one good furniture makeover! You truly maximised a cable drum by making it into a lovely furnishing! That fits well even with a rattan furniture piece! :) Good Job!

Sunflower Days said...

Lovely! :)

Lazy Susan said...

You made that cable drum into something useful, not just an ordinary garden table, but it comes with a sunshade umbrella, providing you with a dual purpose. Thanks for sharing your superb idea.

Anonymous said...

Saved as a favorite, I
likе yοur website!

Feel free tо suгf to my wеbsіte; core training exercise