Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A bucket load of pretty.

Hello all!
          It's another sunny (and humid) day here so I must make sure to water all my potted flowers and plants - I have quite a few of them as we only have a very small backyard concrete patio area.  Anyway, the point of this post is to show you one of my current favourite planters.  I like to mix some old and repurposed items in with the regular pots and have started to use old galvanised fishing pails as I love the graphics on them.  I also came across a dinked up old metal bucket whilst out junking the other day and picked it up with a spot of "beautifying" in mind!
        I'm sure many of you have seen the fabulous images and text you can get over at the wonderful Graphics Fairy - there are so many that you can easily lose yourself for many minutes of pleasant browsing and over at the companion blog, Graphics Fairy DIY , you can get some fantastic inspirational ideas for things to create.  So after painting my bucket with some home made chalk paint (I got the recipe from Pinterest, obviously!!), I reverse printed the image I had chosen and applied it to the bucket using the Mod Podge transfer method, leaving it overnight before soaking the paper and gently rubbing it off to reveal the fabulous design.


                    How pretty is that?  I finished it with a thin coat of varnish but I don't mind if it gets a bit worn as I want it to have that shabby look :)  
       Linking this up at Elizabeth & Co. , The Graphics Fairy Brag Monday , Stylish Once Again , Inspire Me Tuesday , That DIY party and Tweak it Tuesday.


Thanks for stopping by :)


Pin It

13 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love it. Your bucket is fantastic and your planter is wonderful. Such a pretty garden spot. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Tracy said...

Wow, I mean just wow. This turned out spectacular Dawn. You dressed that old bucket up like a millions dollars. Love it! Hugs!

Sandra said...

You are simply amazing girlie!
What the heck does dinked up mean though??? Oh yes, probably another Brit term that I will just have to run by my friend when I see her next, lol :)...Your idea turned out beautiful,I'll bet you can sell it now for 10 times what it was worth in the first place. Such an entrepreneur you are :)S

Tress said...

Gorgeous project! Each time you show a new piece of home decor you've made, I get so intrigued! I want to see more of your home and yard!

Kathi said...

Wow! That's amazing and your garden looks gorgeous!

Penny said...

It is very pretty, and so is the little spot you have it in! A little oasis. :^)
Hugs, Penny

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - this is wonderful. I have to try that! It is a good thing you don't have a bigger space or you would have to be junking a lot more or be doing much larger fishing tins. This is so pretty and so well done. Hugz!

Patricia St Martin said...

I love your bucket, wonderful design and color.
Hugs, Patricia

Transformations By Jacqueline said...

Turned out beautifull! Very good job! Congrats

Carol said...

Fantastic!! So, just to clarify the process, did you use a laser jet printer or ink jet for your copy? Sounds like such a wonderful idea!

Anonymous said...

Love it, just curious with the chalk paint and rubbing off the transfer.....
did you use anything on the bucket before transferring? Won't the chalk paint come off easily with water if you didn't????
Thanks,
Dotte

Barb King said...

This is a great idea, I'll have to look for a tutorial on that.

anette196 said...

I love that place :)